‘Foundational Resources’ Meditations No.28: Here it is!
1 Pet 1:9 “you ARE RECEIVING the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”
This is the awesome conclusion: you can’t see Him but you love Him and believe in Him but you ARE receiving the salvation that Christ has bought for you. Aliens, exiles, scattered? So what, wherever we are (alone or in a crowd) He’s still working on your case so you enter in more and more into the salvation that is now yours. Nothing but nothing (but your own stubborn will) can stop His love and goodness getting to you, redeeming you, restoring you, equipping you, envisioning you and sending you into the most mind-blowing adventure man can conceive – ‘cos it’s all from God! There in those last few words, it is all summed up – it’s all from God!
That is what Peter has been saying:
- God has chosen us to be changed by the Spirit, called to obey Jesus, having been forgiven and cleansed by his blood.
- So, now we experience grace and peace in abundance.
- He has given us a new Spirit-empowered life, full of hope, affirmed through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- The end of it is seen as an unchanging inheritance in heaven waiting for us.
- While we are waiting for this end product, we are protected by God’s power until the time comes when Jesus will wind it all up at the end.
- Yes, we, can rejoice even though for a while we suffer difficulties and trials in this fallen world.
- As we do this it proves the genuineness of our faith which will bring praise to God as Jesus Christ is revealed.
- We may not be able to see him but we still love him and believe in him, being filled inexpressible and glorious joy as we enter more and more into this salvation.
God’s Plan: from before the creation of the world, to redeem us by the death of His Son, Jesus.
Our Experience: drawn & convicted by the Spirit, brought to repentance, born again, given a new Spirit-empowered life culminating in eternity.
Our Hope: grace and peace for every new day as the Spirit teaches, guides, envisions and equips us to bring glory to God in His kingdom, then a glorious eternity with Him. Purpose, power, presence, peace, provision, protection; it’s all there. This is not a contentless salvation but it is all there in the Old and New Testaments, which brings us to the next series for this coming month as we look at how the Bible can speak to us (if we will read it) and show us more and more of the wonder of what God has for us.